Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Alion Beach5from $147
- Hotel Adams Beach5from $108
- Hotel Grecian Sands4from $106
- Hotel Napa Mermaid4from $98
- Hotel Grecian Bay5from $139
- Hotel Aquasol Callisto Holiday Villagefrom $69
More Top Hotels Agia Napa (Ayia Napa)
The remnants of the ruins of the ancient city-state of Salamis. Situated 8km north of Gazimagusa at a wide sandy bay, the oldest ruins date back to the 11 century BC when Salamis was the prevailing power in the island. Excavations are scattered over an area of one square mile and contain the remains of the theatre, gymnasium and more. In the 1960's several kings' tombs were discovered here.
Lala Mustafa Paşa Camii
Lala Mustafa Paşa Camii was built in between 1298 and 1326 and is the largest medieval building in Famagusta. The mosque was first consecrated as a Christian church under the name St Nicholas Cathedral in 1328 and later, under the rule of the Ottomans, turned into a mosque. During the reign of the Lusignans on the Island their Kings were first inaugurated as King of Cyprus in Nicossia, in the St. Sophia Cathedral, and later in the St Nicholas Cathedral in Famagusta also became King of Jerusalem. The mosque resembles the Cathedral of Reims after which it has been designed. It features 3 doors and twin spires, the later have been damaged by earthquakes and bombardments by the Ottomans and have never been repaired.One of the spires is now topped by the minaret of the mosque. Please note that visitors to the mosque are required to remove their shoes and need to cover their legs (no shorts please). Female visitors also need to cover their hair, headscarves are available at the entrance. There is a small admission fee of under £1, parking facilities are available behind the mosque or on the surrounding streets.
Latin St George Kilisesi
The remains of the St George of the Latins Church can be found within the Old Town of Famagusta, at the Northern end, just a stone's throw away from the Othello Tower. There is evidence in the structure of the building that the church was completed before the Lusignans constructed the first city wall around the city, which makes it one of the oldest still existing churches in Famagusta. It's design reminds of the Sainte Chapelle in Paris and historians date its origins back to the end of the 13th century. What is known exactly is that the stones used to construct the church originate from the ruins of Salamis. Today the church is heavily ruined and what remains are more or less only its eastern and northern wall. They still bear their elaborate carvings, gargoyles and there are parts of a staircase left which led to the top of the church in medieval times. The site is open at all times and there is no admission fee.
Sinan Paşa Camii - Church of St Peter and Paul
The Sinan Pasha Mosque is located in the centre of the Old Town of Famagusta, directly next to the Venetian Palace. It was built around 1360 and the original name was Church of St Peter and Paul before it was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest of the city in 1571, when a minaret was added. It was built with funds donated by a successful merchant named Simon Nostrano and is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in the city. During the British rule the mosque was used for grain storage which also earned it the name "wheat mosque", later on it was used to store petrol, as town hall and an entertainment venue. It is now being restored and will be open for public access after the renovations.