Parc de la Ciutadella is one of Barcelona's largest parks with an area of 17.4 hectares or 31 hectares if you include the zoo which is located within the park. It lies to the east of La Ribera and to the north of La Barceloneta and was once home to a huge fortress (La Ciutadella) which was demolished in 1869 at which point the area was turned into a park and used to host the 1888 Universal Exhibition.
Highlights within the park include the Cascada (or waterfall), two museums for Zoology and Geology, the Catalan Parliament building, a school, a military chapel, gardens, a summer house and a bicycle park for children. Facilities include rowing boats which can be hired for use on the lake, table tennis tables, picnic areas, public toilets and children's play areas. A jazz festival is held in the park each summer and other open-air performances are also hosted in the park.
Dog walking and cycling are both permitted in the park.
Opening times are from 10 am until dusk and entrance is free of charge.