The Botanical Gardens which are located in the Dahlem area of Berlin were designed by Adolf Engler between the years 1897 and 1910 mainly to show off plants brought from the German colonies.
The Gardens cover an area of 43 hectares and display 22,000 different plants.
The gardens are part of the Free University of Berlin and the Botanical Museum is attached to it. There are many glasshouses and the Great Pavilion in the gardens is the largest glasshouse in the world.
Admission cost is 5 euro for adults and covers the gardens and museum. No Dogs are allowed
Opening times are from 9am and closing times vary by the season winter is 4pm and in the height of summer it is 9pm. It is closed on Christmas Eve.