Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Dorado Plaza3from $101
- Hotel Hampton by Hilton Cartagena4from $101
- Hotel Atlantic Lux 4from $140
- Hotel San Pietrofrom $86
- Hotel San Martin3from $97
- Hotel Tequendama Inn Cartagena de Indias3from $107
More Top Hotels Cartagena
La Ciudad Amurallada
The city of Cartagena was founded by the Spanish in the 1530s and its strategic location on the Caribbean needed defending. The walled old town is the defensive fortress built in the 17th century to protect it from pirates like Sir Francis Drake who attacked the galleons laden with gold. The walled area includes the neighbourhoods of Centro, San Diego, Getsmani and La Matuna. The oldest part is around Plaza Trinidad in Getsemani. The main entrance to the Old Town is via the Clock Tower Building. The Old Town is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.