Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Alfiz4from $244
- Hotel Casa Lola Luxury Collection4from $151
- Hotel Casa la Fefrom $134
- Hotel Casa Claver Loft Boutique 5from $234
- Hotel San Martin3from $88
- Hotel Boutique Las Carretasfrom $128
More Top Hotels Cartagena
La Ciudad Amurallada
The city of Cartagena was founded by the Spanish in the 1530s and its strategic location on the Caribbean needed defending. The walled old town is the defensive fortress built in the 17th century to protect it from pirates like Sir Francis Drake who attacked the galleons laden with gold. The walled area includes the neighbourhoods of Centro, San Diego, Getsmani and La Matuna. The oldest part is around Plaza Trinidad in Getsemani. The main entrance to the Old Town is via the Clock Tower Building. The Old Town is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.