La Maison De Marie Caroline
La Maison De Marie CarolineNo availability based on 6 websites.
Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
More Top Hotels Châlons-en-Champagne
Palais du Tau
The name ""Tau"" derives from its T-shape (Greek ""tau"") and this name is recorded as early as 1131. From archaeological evidence it was built on a Gallo-Roman villa; this was succeeded by a Carolingian palace which in turn was replaced by a gothic structure and then modified to the baroque style we see today. Further destruction occurred in World War I although it has now been restored. It was the archbishops' palace and as the kings of France were crowned in the cathedral, much of the preparation went on here, including the coronation feast in the medieval banqueting hall. The last king crowned here was Charles X in 1825. Today it is a museum of royal, coronation and cathedral treasures. Together with the cathedral and Basilica Saint-Rémi it forms a UNESCO World Heritage site. Opening hours are on the website and guided tours are available. Duing the tourist season a café offers refreshments.
The abbey church is the burial pace of Saint Rémi who converted and baptised Clovis, king of the Franks, in the 5th century. Having such important relics meant that the foundation became rich, the church was rebuilt and in 1049 the current basilica was consecrated. The style is Romanesque but later additions to accommodate the crowds of pilgrims are gothic. The Romanesque porch was removed and the striking facade added, as well as the choir in which the tomb of the saint is located. It was badly damaged in world war 1 but restored by the 1950s. Pope John Paul II visited in 1996 on the 1500th anniversary of Clovis's conversion. Together with the cathedral and the Palais Tau, the church is a UNESCO World heritage site. It is open daily from 8am to dusk. There is a music and light display on Saturdays from July to September.
Cathédrale Notre Dame
The importance of the cathedral goes back to the late 5th century when Clovis,king of the Franks, was baptised by St Remi, the bishop of Reims. The church we see today dates from 1211, bult after a fire destroyed the preceding carolingian structure. It is one of the great gothic cathedrals of northern France, renowned especially for its facade which is covered in carved statues and statuettes and surmounted by a rose window. The cathedral was where the kings of France were crpwned and the nave was enlarged to accommodate the crowds. It supports vaulting rising to 38 metres. The two towers were intended to be topped with spires but they were never completed. Together with the Basilica St Remi and the Tau Palace, the cathedral forms a UNESCO World Heritage site. Opening hours are 7.30am - 7.30pm daily except Sunday mornings. Guided visits are available in the summer months.