Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Holiday Inn Express Suites Council Bluffs Convention Center Area2from $99
- Hotel SpringHill Suites Council Bluffsfrom $93
- Hotel Microtel Inn And Suites By Wyndham Council Bluffs2from $71
- Hotel Country Inns & Suites By Carlson Council Bluffs3from $80
- Hotel Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs - I-293from $111
- Hotel Ameristar Casino Council Bluffs4from $126
More Top Hotels Council Bluffs
The Danish Windmill Museum
Located in the largest Danish community in the United States, Elk Horn, Iowa the Danish Windmill is the only working windmill in the United States. It was originally built and used in Norre Snede, Denmark in 1848. A group of citizens of Elk Horn wanted to bring a windmill to Elk Horn and found this one which was being used to generate electricity in 1975. They arranged for Danish craftsmen to disassemble and carefully mark the parts. They were then shipped to Elk Horn arriving in November of 1975. There they were carefully reassembled over the course of 1976 to its current working condition with a stone mill and wooded gears. There is a gift shop, which is free to enter but a tour of the building costs $2. The hours of operation is Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with Sunday hours 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. The windmill is located in the center of town. It is open every day of the year except Christmas and New Years Day.