Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel De la Paix5from $361
- Hotel Grand Hôtel Kempinski Geneva5from $387
- Hotel Four Seasons des Bergues5from $766
- Hotel Le Richemond5from $343
- Hotel Beau Rivage Genève5from $487
- Hotel Swissôtel Métropole Geneve5from $375
More Top Hotels Geneva
The Jet d'Eau is one of Geneva's most famous landmarks. This fountain, which now reaches 140 metres of height was originally a safety valve for a hydro powered generator at the Usine de la Coulouvrenière in 1886. At that time the drinking water fountain reached only 30 metres, and was moved to its present location in 1891 due to its aesthetic value. In 1951, the present jet was changed to use lake water instead of city water. The fountain is set at the meeting point between the Lake Geneva and the Rhone River. The water leaves the nozzle of the fountain at over 200 kilometres an hour and lifts over 7000 litres of water at one time. It is actioned by two 500 Watt pumps.