Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Crowne Plaza Istanbul Old City5from $121
- Hotel Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy5from $165
- Hotel Istanbul Gonen5from $100
- Hotel Retaj Royale Istanbul5from $103
- Hotel Ramada Istanbul Atakoy5from $128
- Hotel Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul 5from $797
More Top Hotels Istanbul
Süleymaniye Camii (Suleymaniye Mosque) is located in Istanbul and is the largest mosque in Turkey. The mosque was built in the golden age of the Ottoman Empire between 1550-1557 by an order of Sultan Suleiman I the Magnificent, who ruled the empire for 47 years. Süleymaniye Mosque is the work of architect Mimar Sinan, considered one of the most talented architects of his time. The Mosque is located in the middle of the cultural and religious complex, including a temple, cemetery, library, bathroom, hospital, a caravanserai (hostel) and more. The dome of the mosque is 53 meters high and its width is 26.5 meters. The mosque has four minarets, which means that it is built on the orders of the Sultan. Southeast of the building is the cemetery in which are buried Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, his wife Roksalana and his sister, mother, Sultan Suleyman II and Sultan Ahmed II.
The Historical Suleymaniye Bath
The Historical Suleymaniye Bath is located in the historical area of Süleymaniye which was the centre of Istanbul in Ottoman times. The Magnificent Sultan Suleyman had this hamam built by the famous architect Sinan (also Suleymaniye Mosque) in 1550. The Suleymaniye Hammam is a mixed (male/female) hammam. There are no different sections for each sex thus families may comfortably enjoy the hammam together.The services included in the entrance fee include washing, peeling, soap massage, towels and slippers. There are lockable changing cabins. The website can be viewed in German, English, Russian, French and Spanish. Open daily from 07:00-24:00
Sveti Stefan Bulgarian Church
The St Stephan Church in Istanbul, also known as Bulgarian Church, is located in the Fener neighbourhood on the shore of the Golden Horn. It is also called Iron church because it was built from pre-fabricated iron elements. The style of the church is a mixture of Neo-Gothic and Neo-Baroque. In 1849 duke Stefan Bogoridi donated the lands on which the church is situated. The reason for the iron construction of the church, designed by architect Hovsep Aznavur, is that the ground on which it is built is sandy and not stable. The Iron elements were cast in Vienna, transported by ship to Istanbul and then assembled and connected with about 4 million bolts, nuts, rivets and welds. After a building time of 1.5 years it was finished in 1898 and officially consecrated in September of the same year. St Stephan is one of the few preserved iron churches in the world and the only East Orthodox example that still exists. In the churchyard are the tombs of several Bulgarian clergymen. The Orthodox Church is operational and open for visits. To get there: Bus: 55T or 99A Ferry: From Eminonu and stop Eyup, address is Balat. Working Hours: 9:00 to 17:00 daily Entrance: Free