Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Villa Modigliani3from $155
- Hotel Raspail Montparnasse3from $162
- Hotel Mercure Paris Gare Montparnasse4from $169
- Hotel Timhotel Tour Montparnasse4from $228
- Hotel Grand Hotel des Gobelins3from $223
- Hotel Lenox Montparnasse3from $188
More Top Hotels Paris
Cimetière de Montparnasse
Cimetière du Montparnasse, originally known as Le cimetière du Sud, is a cemetery located in the Montparnasse area of the 14th arrondissement in Paris. After serious health problems in 1786 all cemeteries in Paris were closed for new burials and the creation of new burial grounds within the city borders was banned. As a result new cemeteries were created in the surrounding villages and in 1824 a 10 hectare large cemetery, then located on two farms and a plot of land that was owned by the Les Frères de la Charité in the village Montrouge, was opened. In 1860 the whole area surrounding the cemetery was integrated to Paris. Today it measures 19 hectares and is, after the Père-Lachaise cemetery, the second largest in the capital. Amongst the 35000 tombs you can find the last resting places of some of France's most famous intellectuals, artists and other celebrities. The graves of Charles Baudelaire, Simone de Beauvoir, Samuel Beckett, Serge Gainsbourg, Guy de Maupassant and many others can be visited here. Opening hours: March to November 8am to 6pm November to March 8am to 5.30pm Last entry 15 minutes prior to closing time.
Catacombes is a well-known underground ossuary in Paris. At the end of the 18th century it was restructured out of the city’s large network of subterranean tunnels and caverns. It was opened as a small scale tourist in the early 19th century and from 1867 it was opened frequently to the public. The cemetery contains a fraction of Paris’ former mines. There were safety problems with the underground tunnels and chambers. Quarries occasionally collapsed and caved in and this damaged buildings from above and also resulted in a hole. In 1977 the government set up a team called the IGC to observe and repair any problems. The observations and repairs still continue to this day.
Jardin du Luxembourg
It was Marie de Medici who, after having the Palace built, created the gardens. These gardens are divided into different sections, one of which is the French garden, with the Orangerie and its temporary exhibits. The English gardens feature the "Fontaine de Médicis" and an orchard.A large number of statues decorate the alleys, much appreciated by tourists and Parisians and there are also a number of outdoor activities, such as tennis, basket ball and pony riding, Punch and Judy marionettes and a water plan with remote control boats for children.Concerts, as well as operas, are being held in the pavilion.