Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Novotel Köln City4from $95
- Hotel Cleopatra Palace4from $167
- Hotel Enfrente Arte3from $127
- Hotel Ronda1from $90
More Top Hotels Ruaha National Park
Selous Game Reserve
The Selous Game Reserve, with its 54,000 km2, is the largest hunting animal reserve in Africa. It is named after Frederick Courtney Selous, a British conservationist, hunter and explorer who died here in 1917. The Rufiji River flows into the Indian Ocean, dividing the reserve into two, north and south. The northern part is reserved for photo safaris, while the southern part is reserved for hunting. The vegetation is very diverse and mixed. A variety of lakes close to the river attract a large number fauna such as giraffes, zebras, wildbeasts, elephants, antelopes, hippos, crocodiles as well as different species of birds. The Selous is home to few specimens of wild dogs, threatened with extinction. The reserve provides some camping areas and a series of lodges scattered along the river.It has two entrances, one to the west from Morogoro, the other to the east from Dar-Es-Salaam and the railroad between Dar-Es-Salaam Mbeya.There are also various airstrips to reach the reserve by small aircrafts. The best period to visit the reserve is during the dry season, which runs from May to November. In 1982 it was designated an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area was established in 1959 and covers an area of 8288 kmÂ². A variety of landscapes, wildlife, archaeology dominates this area. With its volcanoes, grasslands, waterfalls and mountain forests home to thousands of animals, it is also home to the Maasai people. The most visited place of this area is the Ngorongoro Crater, the largest unflooded and unbroken caldera in the world. It has a mean diameter of 16-19km and a crater floor of 26,400ha. Other craters are Olmoti Crater, Oldonyo Lengai Crater, Empakaai Crater. The conservation area also includes Olduvai Gorge, famous for geology and associated palaeotological studies. The fauna of the area is represented by black rhinos, zebras, elands, gazelles, hippos, waterbucks, flamingoes, spotted hyenas. In 1979 the area became an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Stone Town is the old town of Zanzibar, located halfway along the western coast of the island. It is situated between the port and the National Museum. The town appears dark because of its labyrinth of narrow streets, and the houses have brass-studded carved wooden doors. Most of the buildings are built from coraline rock and have 4 or 5 floors, many of them have terraces. In the year 2000 Stone Town was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The most important buildings in Stone Town include: The People's Palace, the former sultan's palace from 1890 until 1964, which today is a museum. Beit-el-Ajaib (House of Wonders), built in 1883 by the sultan Sayyid Barghash The Old Fort, built by the Portuguese in the 17th century; The House of Livingstone where the explorer lived before leaving for his last journey to the mainland. The first Anglican Cathedral in East Africa dedicated to Christ was built on the site of the old slave market in 1873. Whilst the Zanzibar Museum hosts portraits of the sultans, documents of national importance, Livingstone's doctor bag and an ethnological section.