Hotels St James Church, Southwick St James Church
- Find the ideal hotel in the area
- Compare prices from more than 160 booking sites
- Book where it's cheapest!
St James Church is situated on High Street in the Hampshire village of Southwick, near Fareham. Its full name is St-James-Without-the-Priory-Gate. It is thought to date from 1040, but a great deal of restoration work has been done since then. The altar table is Elizabethan while the panelled gallery and the pulpit date from the 17th century. The original box pews were replaced by modern ones in the mid 20th century. St James is one of only two churches in the country that is a Peculiar, meaning that the chaplain is appointed by the village squire rather than by the bishop of the diocese. There are two services at St James on Sunday mornings. Holy Communion is at 8.30am followed by Eucharist at 10.45am. St James is open every day and visitors are welcome. There are artefacts on display in the church from the Augustinian priory that was located immediately south-east of Southwick. The remains of a wall of the priory still exists on the edge of the golf course. St James can accommodate 150 people and is sometimes used for concerts. The west door of the church has wheelchair access.
NameSt James Church
AddressHigh Street, PO17 6EF, Southwick United Kingdom | 0.0 miles miles from city center | Show on map
Telephone: | Fax: | Official Homepage