AddressKaunda Road, , Stone Town Tanzania | 0.4 miles from city center | Show on map
Telephone: +225(2)233298 | Fax: | Official Homepage
Top 9 Features
- Bathroom with shower,
- Windows that open,
- Entrance hall/ lobby,
- Garden or park,
Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
Stone Town is the old town of Zanzibar, located halfway along the western coast of the island. It is situated between the port and the National Museum. The town appears dark because of its labyrinth of narrow streets, and the houses have brass-studded carved wooden doors. Most of the buildings are built from coraline rock and have 4 or 5 floors, many of them have terraces. In the year 2000 Stone Town was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The most important buildings in Stone Town include: The People's Palace, the former sultan's palace from 1890 until 1964, which today is a museum. Beit-el-Ajaib (House of Wonders), built in 1883 by the sultan Sayyid Barghash The Old Fort, built by the Portuguese in the 17th century; The House of Livingstone where the explorer lived before leaving for his last journey to the mainland. The first Anglican Cathedral in East Africa dedicated to Christ was built on the site of the old slave market in 1873. Whilst the Zanzibar Museum hosts portraits of the sultans, documents of national importance, Livingstone's doctor bag and an ethnological section.