Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
More Top Hotels Tabarka
Parc Habib Thameur
Habib Thameur park, located in Tunis, the Tunisian capital, is located along the avenue de Paris, avenue de la Liberté and avenue Habib Thameur. Created in 1957 on the site of the old Jewish cemetery, which is now located in the Borgel area of the city, the park is laid out in the style of a garden "à la française" (a French style formal garden), with a central fountain. It contains a number of trees and plants, including several species of palm trees. The garden was named in honour of Habib Thameur, a Tunisian politician who was a hero of the Tunisian independence. Entry to the park is free and a bus station (Habib Thameur station) and an underground station (République) are nearby.
The Medina, located in the heart of Tunis has been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1979. Founded in 698 around the Zitouna Mosque, it contains about 700 monuments over 270 hectares, added to the 29 hectares covered by the Kasbah. The network of alleys and covered passages developed through the Middle-Ages and under the Hafsid dynasty becomes the capital of a powerful kingdom. Among the monuments visitors might find when touring the Medina are a number of mosques, the Zitouna being the main one, but also palaces like the Dar Bach Hamba or the Dar Ben Abdallah, both of which have been converted into museums. Several Medersas (schools for Koran studies), Zaouïas (religious complexes) and Tourbet (mausoleums) are also present, but it is the Souqs which attract the most foreign tourists. This crisscross of shops, boutiques and workshops, dating back for the most part to the 13th Century is organised along the different trades and professions. The trades considered most “noble” (i.e. they create no unpleasant smell or noise) are found nearest the heart of the Medina, around the mosque, whilst other Souqs viewed as more lowly are found progressively further away.
The town of Dougga, situated on a hill, is a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1997 and was listed as "the best-preserved Roman small town in North Africa". Local people still lived in the ancient city until 1950. Originally called Thugga, its history dates back to antiquity, and it was described in the fourth century B.C. as being "of a good size" by an observer. At that time, it was controlled by Carthage, but was then ruled by the Numidian king Massina after the second Punic war. Dougga was assimilated by Rome in 46 B.C. and was at its most prosperous between the second and the fourth centuries A.D. where it had an estimated population of 5000 people. It then declined during its occupation by the Vandals. The site occupies 25 hectares (but in total there are 70 hectares, most of which have not yet been excavated). Visiting times are between 8 am and 7 pm from April to mid-September, and from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm at all other times. Visitors need to purchase a permit to take photographs as well as their entry ticket. Toilets are available, as well as a café, but the latter is not always open.
Le musée national du Bardo
The Bardo National Museum is open daily from 09.30 to 16.30 during November to April and from 09.00 to 17.00 the rest of the year. Ranked as one of the largest North African museums, its exhibits include the largest collection worldwide of Roman mosaics. Photography is only allowed with special permission and onsite facilities include a gift shop and restaurant.