From Sunday, 05/11/14 to Monday, 05/12/14
Serviced Apartment 0
Vourvourou Vourvourou 63078 Greece
Only show hotels with the following criteria:
- 63078 Vourvourou
- Telephone: +30(23750)31945
- Official Homepage
Room features Thalassokipos
- Bathroom with shower
- Windows that open
- Central heating
- Air conditioning
- Satellite TV
- WiFi in the rooms
- Kitchen/ Kitchenette
Hotel features Thalassokipos
- Entrance hall/ lobby
- Parking lot
- Hotel bar
- WiFi in Lobby
Type of lodging
Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
83 out of 100 based on 63 reviews
Lefkos Pirgos (The white Tower) is located on the waterfront of Thessaloniki on the Niki promenade. It is a symbol and one of the most famous sites of the city.
The tower is one of three that were part of the sea wall. It linked the east and the sea wall and separates Jewish and Muslim cemeteries from the European neighbourhood.
The white Tower was built in the 16th century by the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Great. It was used as barracks, and later on as a prison in which were sentenced to death the enemies of the Ottoman empire. In 1826 by order of Sultan Mahmud II all prisoners were killed. Because of that the tower until the end of the 19th century was known as the Red or Bloody Tower.
The tower is elongated and has six floors. Its height is above 30 meters, diameter is 22.7 meters. The top can be reached by 120-foot spiral staircase. The view from the tower is to the harbor.
In the 19th century the tower was repainted in white, and there its current name comes from.
In Levkos Pyrgos is placed a Byzantine Museum, where are shown artefacts from the Byzantium period of Thessaloniki.