The Queens, located in the heart of the City of York, sits on the banks of the River Ouse. It is walking distance to York Railway Station and many of the historic city’s attractions, such as iconic York Minster.
Rooms are simply decorated but well maintained and spacious with complimentary Wi-Fi, satellite TVs, and tea/coffee makers. Select between standard and family rooms, which comfortably accommodate a family of four.
Inquire with the hotel about the Victorian Cloisters, executive apartments a short walk from the hotel, which include kitchens suitable for longer visits.
Visit The Queens Royal Brasserie for breakfast and dinner or unwind with views of the Ouse River from the Riverside Lounge.
Venture on a ghost tour around one of Europe’s most haunted cities and visit the ever-popular Jorvik Viking Centre. Stroll the York Shambles for shopping and culture then finish at one of many pubs and wine bars.
AddressQueens Staith Road, YO1 6DH, York United Kingdom | 0.2 miles from city center | Show on map
Telephone: +44(1904)611321 | Fax:+44(1904)611388 | Official Homepage
Top 9 Features
- Bathroom with bathtub,
- Bathroom with shower,
- Windows that open,
- Central heating,
- Electric kettle,
- Satellite TV,
- WiFi in the rooms,
- Cost of wireless internet in rooms,
- Entrance hall/ lobby,
- Parking lot,
- Hotel bar,
- Non-smoking rooms,
- 24-hour reception,
- WiFi in Lobby,
- Bike Rental,
- Golf Course
Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
Jorvik Viking Centre
The Jorvik Centre features a reconstruction of a Viking Age street as it was uncovered by local archaeological explorations. Many artifacts including pottery, coins and clothing are on display. There are also interactive tableaux depicting the life and times in the city prior to 1000AD. Recently opened is "DIG", an interactive tour of current excavation sites supervised by archaeologists. Open daily 10am - 5pm Admission (for Jorvik): Adult: £7.75 Senior; Student: £ 6.60 Child: £ 5.50 Family tickets are available. Combined tickets with DIG are also available. The centre is wheelchair accessible Car parks are adjacent to the site.
A number of special effects, interactive technology and actors bring to life the gory past of York and exhibits relate the tales of the plague, Dick Turpin, Guy Fawkes, vikings, ghosts and more. Roman York and the days of Emperor Constantine are also recreated. A tour lasts approximately 90 minutes and all facilities are accessible to disabled patrons. Details of the varied opening hours are available at the website. Tariffs are Adult: £12.95 / Child: £8.95 / Student: £10.95 / OAP (60+ yrs): £10.95 with discounts available for on line bookings.
All Saints Pavement
This is one of two Churches in York called All Saints Church and is generally referred to as All Saints Pavement. It stands on one of the oldest paved streets in city called High Ousegate and this is from where its name is derived. It was mentioned in the Doomsday book of 1086 although the majority of the present church dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. The notable features of this church include its 17th century pulpit from where John Wesley used to preach and its unusual octagonal shaped tower. During the middle ages this tower had a burning lantern to guide travellers through the dense Forest of Galtres towards York. This lantern burned every night for over a century and can still be seen at the top of the tower today. Access to the church is free and it open daily throughout the year from 9.30am until 4pm Monday to Saturday and from 8.30am until 7.30pm on Sundays.
St Michael le Belfry
St Michael le Belfry dates from 1535 and is most famous as the place of baptism for Guy Fawkes, the man behind the gunpowder plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605. Displayed inside the church is a copy of the 1570 parish register showing this baptismal entry. Other interesting features include some 17th century brasses, 14th century stained glass windows and a stone altar that came here from York Minster. The church is open Monday to Friday from 10am until 5pm. Entry is free.
York St Mary's
York St Mary's possibly dates from the year 1020 although the majority of the present building dates from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. At 47 metres high this church has the highest steeple in York. The church was deconsecrated in 1958 and now houses a permanent display depicting life in York over the past 1,000 years entitled The York Story. It also plays host to an annual art exhibition. It is closed during the winter. Entry is free.