Accommodations in Cambridge near St John's College

  • Find the ideal hotel in the area
  • Compare prices from different websites
  • Book for a great price!
Loading

About St John's College

St John's is the second largest of the colleges of Cambridge University. It was founded by Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry VII) by converting the older hospital of St John the Evangelist into a college for liberal arts and theology. Its foundation charter is dated 1511. The imposing and heavily ornate Front Gate on St Johns Street depicts mythical beasts and carries a statue of St John with his symbolic eagle.

The college has four main Courts consisting of accommodation, offices and service buidings (names First, Second, Third and New), a chapel (with nineteenth century stained glass windows) and extensive gardens which connect to The Backs and the River Cam. The corridor between the Third and New Courts crosses the river in an enclosed walkway popularly known as The Bridge of Sighs (a reference to the similar construction in Venice).

Visitors should enter via the Front Gate in St Johns Street. There is no parking on site. Parking is also quite limited in Cambridge City centre but there are Park and Ride Schemes which are easily accessible.

Public opening hours:
10am - 5:30pm daily (March to October)
10am - 5:30pm (Saturday, Sunday: November to February)
Please refer to the homepage to confirm hours and admission tariffs.

Contact

Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 1TP , United Kingdom
Telephone: +44(1223)338600 | Official Homepage

Points of Interest - Cambridge

More Points of Interest - Cambridge