Hotels in Durango, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Durango online
- Find a cheap hotel in Durango!
- Book at the ideal price!
Durango, CO – Outdoors Enthusiasts’ Paradise
Situated near the San Juan Mountains and within the Animas River Valley, Durango has a diverse landscape, making it a haven for year-round outdoor activities. Here, you can ski or snowboard down the powdery slopes at a sprawling ski resort during your wintertime visit, or blaze new trails on a summer hike. Make your way downtown for a glimpse into Durango’s Wild West heritage, or attend a jazz festival at one of the city’s oldest hotels. Durango, CO is an outdoor adventurer’s dream, but there’s plenty to do for everyone, too.
Old West Heritage
Downtown Durango is a Nationally Registered Historic District, and its Old West heritage is still very much alive today. There’s the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Museum, which details the history of the line that was developed to carry gold from the San Juan Mountains to Silverton. You can still board the steam locomotive today, or simply explore the museum to browse railroading artefacts. Next, delve even further into local history at The Animas Museum, which features a Native American gallery, exhibit on La Plata County history, and a fully restored 1905 classroom. If you wish to incorporate the history of the city into your accommodations, you can also choose to stay in one of the oldest hotels in Durango, CO, such as The General Palmer Hotel, which was constructed in the late 1800s and is still filled with antiques. There’s also the Victorian-era Strater Hotel, which was constructed in 1887 and features Old West staples like a piano bar saloon and steakhouse. In addition to its historic sites, Downtown Durango has a number of inviting boutiques, cafes, and restaurants situated along Main Avenue.
Unlimited Outdoor Recreation
A portion of the 1.8 million-acre San Juan National Forest lies within the city. There, you can enjoy horseback riding, climbing, fishing, hiking, and bicycling. During warmer weather, the park is also a premier destination for camping, which is ideal for guests who may prefer to spend their visit among nature instead of staying in one of the hotels in Durango, Colorado. Other warm-weather activities include boating and water skiing. While the park is also a destination among locals for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling during the winter months, visitors are encouraged to exercise caution, as the trails and roadways are not snow ploughed. In addition to the San Juan National Forest, the Animas River is also an exceptional site for outdoor recreation, as it is considered a Gold Medal Water destination for fly fishing, and is also a popular spot for white water rafting, canoeing, and kayaking.
When winter visits the city of Durango, its people don’t head indoors for hibernation. Instead, they embrace the coldest weather of the year during the annual Snowdown Festival. Since 1979, Durango businesses and residents have been partaking in the winter event, which is held in late January or early February and has a different theme each year. In past years, themes have included superheroes, disco, and steampunk. Many business owners partake in competitions, and one of the festival’s longest standing traditions is the single firework which commences a spectacular light parade. In the late spring, the Strater Hotel hosts the Ragtime & Early Jazz Festival, complete with live entertainment and silent movies. Nearby, Purgatory Resort also hosts its own snow sculpture, winter fest, and Mardi Gras celebrations. The Iron Horse Bicycle Classic is another popular yearly attraction, which is held over Memorial Day Weekend and encompasses BMX, road, and mountain bike competitions.
Slopes for Skiers & Snowboarders
Durango, like many other parts of Colorado, is well-known for its ski slopes. In particular, there’s Purgatory Resort, which is located within the San Juan Mountains and is home to 92 trails, 11 lifts, and more than 1,500 acres of skiable area. While you can choose to stay in one of the resort’s condo rental properties during your visit, there are also a number of hotels available for accommodation throughout the city. For convenience, the resort shuttle provides transportation from the city of Durango to the slopes and back. The mountain has a variety of trails among all difficulty levels, and for the experienced skiers and snowboarders, a number of paths run through the forest for an exhilarating ride. With a summit elevation of 10,822 feet and an average snowfall accumulation of 260 inches each year, the San Juan Mountains can be enjoyed by any skier or snowboarder. With snow tubing, sledding, snowshoeing, and dog sledding, there are also more family-friendly adventures to be enjoyed at the resort, along with shops and nine eateries, including a pizzeria and bar.
Price rangefrom $30to $266
- Hotel Comfort Inn & Suites Durangodeals from $61
- Hotel Affordable Luxury Condo - Great Views - Steps To Lifts - Free Night Offerdeals from $6
- Hotel Slopeside Studio-Best Valuedeals from $84
- Hotel Hotel Quality Inn Durangodeals from $61
- Hotel Beautiful 1st Floor Condo Short Walk To Slopes At Purgatory Resort - Wifi, Viewsdeals from $6
- Hotel Adventure Inn Durangodeals from $61
More Top Hotels
- Cozy Colorado Mountain Retreat
- Hotel Historic Strater
- Motel Durango
- Studio Loft With Beautiful Needle Mountain Views
- Purgatory Resort Slopeside Home-2 Minute Walk To Ski/activies
- New! Love Nest 3
- Durango Lodge
- One Bedroom With Loft -slope Side Sleeps 6! Wood Burning Fireplace & Views
- New Listing! Lovely Cabin W/mountain Views, Secluded Location
- 360 Mountain Views, Jacuzzi Tub, 10 Min. South Of Town On Florida Mesa
- New Listing! All New Historic Charmer In Heart Of Durango
- Best Western Mountain Shadows
- Beautiful Animas Valley Home. The Best Location For Your Durango Vacation
- Durango Deluxe Townhome
- Hunters- Lemon And Vallecito Reservoir- Hot Tub-kayaks, Canoe, Fishing, Atv
- Newly Remodeled Two Bedroom Plus Condo With Two Baths- Steps From The Slopes
- Super Affordable Ski in/Ski Out Condo - Free Night Offer
- Siesta Motel
- Cozy Cabin In The Pines! Beautiful Property With Lots Of Space!
- Durango Downtown Inn
- Settle In And Slow Down - Sweet Suite From Just $75/night
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Durango
- Literally, Downtown Durango, Perfect Location!
- Secluded Beautiful Mountain Home - Less Than 2 Miles To Ski - Pets Welcome
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Durango
- Black Bear 59 By Redawning
- 720 Sf Studio Loft W/kitchenette: 1 Br / 1 Ba In Durango, Sleeps 4
- Hotel Purgatory Resort
- Wyndham Durango
- Bear Hollow Cabin
- Village Center 414 By Redawning
- Cozy Condo Across From Main Purgatory Lodge And Slopes, Pool/spa/workout Option
- Modern Downtown Durango Condo - 1 Block to Main Street - Free Night Offer
- Luxury Ski In/Out townhome on Creek - Great Views - Free Night Offer
- Ski-in Ski-out - Cozy Ski Condo At Purgatory Resort - The Perfect Ski Vacation!
- WiFi added; Only 5 Minutes To Purgatory Ski Resort! Beautiful Mountain Views
- Family Fun With Beautiful Views Just Steps From The Slopes!
- Private Mountain Chalet In the River Valley, Hiking & Biking, 5 minutes to town
- New Listing-New Family-Friendly Home In-Town
- Skiing, Hiking, And Fishing At The Doorstep.
- Beautiful 2 bed/2 bath newly decorated with amazing views!
- Ski Studio - Queen Bed, Kitchenette, Wood Burining Fireplace - Needle Mountain Views!
- Hotels in Las Vegas 6244 Hotels deals from $18
- Hotels in Denver 3350 Hotels deals from $35
- Hotels in Colorado Springs 1918 Hotels deals from $41
- Hotels in Telluride 1910 Hotels deals from $66
- Hotels in Cortez 151 Hotels deals from $49
- Hotels in San Diego 8649 Hotels deals from $24
More Top Destinations
- Pagosa Springs
- Glenwood Springs
- Grand Junction
- Estes Park
- New York
- San Francisco
- San Antonio
- Santa Fe
- Los Angeles
- Fort Collins
- Steamboat Springs
- Myrtle Beach
- New Orleans
- Snowmass Village
- Crested Butte
- Salt Lake City
- Palm Springs
- Virginia Beach