Hotels in Gettysburg, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Gettysburg online
- Find a cheap hotel in Gettysburg!
- Book at the ideal price!
Tear-jerking memories and fun leisure breaks in Gettysburg
There are few visitors to Gettysburg for whom the prime purpose is not to recognise, salute and reflect upon its crucial 19th century role in American history. Spanning just three summer days, the Battle of Gettysburg resulted in approximately 50,000 military deaths and that of one civilian. The impact was and remains enormous, resulting in Gettysburg’s unique role as a hugely popular, if somewhat different, type of tourist destination. Gettysburg has a fun side too with restaurants, clubs, bars and attractions. These succeed in lightening the mood to create an enjoyably rounded and complete holiday break.
The one civilian who died
The only civilian to lose their life during the Civil War Conflict was Jennie Wade. Consequently, her house and grave feature high on the long list of places to interest the visitor. Guided tours reveal the bullet holes in the walls of her house as well as details of Jennie’s story. In the event of ghosts being present, then Gettysburg and this house in particular are regional hot spots. The basement of the house is recognised as being among the most receptive in the area. If this is the sort of thing that grabs your imagination, there are further guided ghost tours incorporating an old cinema and the Tillie Pierce House Inn which is now also a popular bed and breakfast establishment. In the case of Jennie Wade and the thousands of deaths that accompanied hers, you’d need to be very sceptical to not, at least, wonder seriously about the real presence of spirits in this Gettysburg area.
Hotels and restaurants know their onions in Gettysburg
Hotels in Gettysburg, Pa, offer a wide range of accommodation choices. A fine address on Lincoln Square in the historic district is the conveniently placed Gettysburg Hotel. There’s snowboarding and golf at the Liberty Mountain Resort and 15 minutes away, Antrim Country House is the perfect hotel for that romantic break. Establishments promote their Gettysburg location and proclaim that they serve food fit for a general, with portions sufficient to feed an army. One Lincoln Food eatery is dedicated to providing fine food in a relaxed and amenable setting. The basement of Springhouse Tavern also has an excellent food reputation. They know their onions at Dobbin House Tavern. It’s the oldest house in town and a fascinating place to visit and to dine. Their onion soup is much acclaimed. Lincoln Diner and Dunlap’s, which is just a few minutes’ drive away, provide middle of the road cuisine. Ernie’s Texas Lunch also serves breakfast. This is a popular feature with self-catering visitors.
The beating heart of Gettysburg
This Pennsylvania town is universally and best known for the Gettysburg National Battlefield. The battle marked the turning point in the American Civil War. Significantly and in today’s climate, it is where the visitor’s heart will pause and the recognition accelerate in appreciation of the multiple lives that were lost in the Battle of Gettysburg. There are more than 1,000 historic structures and in excess of 300 historic buildings to explore. Many are part of Gettysburg National Military Park which features a range of historic buildings. The colonial tavern dates back to 1776. There is a modern 1962 museum which is no longer used and the visitor centre remains a permanently and increasingly popular feature. The Park also encompasses the Gettysburg National Cemetery where there is a memorial to Abraham Lincoln’s pivotal 1863 Gettysburg Address. One of many additional features that are destined to live in the memory forever, include The Eternal Light Peace Memorial which was unveiled in 1938.
Visit Gettysburg once and you are bound to return
During the summer months, there is a re-enactment of The Battle of Gettysburg. It is a fact of life that, in death, many bodies were not recovered. Consequently and out of devout respect, this re-enactment is staged on Pumping Station Road rather than the National Park. There are many more regularly staged and varied events in the Gettysburg area. Highlights include the Adams County Irish Festival. Then, nine miles from Gettysburg, there’s a peach of an attraction with the Annual Peach Festival. Parking and admission are free and there are music, rides and activities; plus, of course, peaches galore. There’s a similar theme to the annual Corn Fest, but without the peaches and the Brewfest always raises cheers and a clinking of glasses. The Bluegrass Festival is popularly staged at Granite Hill Campground. Then, throughout the year, the local Majestic Theater on Carlisle Street hosts a series of attractions, including an impressive number of celebrity concerts. In Gettysburg, it’s not all about the Battle.
Price rangefrom $60to $1,396
- Hotel Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Gettysburg, PAdeals from $60
- Hotel Days Inn Gettysburgdeals from $40
- Hotel A Sentimental Journeydeals from $129
- Hotel Cushing Cottage At Brierfield - Nature And Seclusion Near Gettysburgdeals from $99
- Hotel Quality Inn and Suites Gettysburgdeals from $28
- Hotel 1863 Inn of Gettysburgdeals from $71
More Top Hotels
- Inn At Lincoln Square
- President Inn & Suites
- Quality Inn Gettysburg Battlefield
- Comfort Suites Near Gettysburg Battlefield Visitor Center
- Charming Apartment in the Heart of Gettysburg!
- Hotel Wyndham Gettysburg
- Keystone Inn
- Budget Host Three Crowns Motor Lodge
- Walk To Gettysburg Attractions-located In Gettysburg Tourist District
- Hotel Courtyard Gettysburg
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Gettysburg
- The Lightner Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast
- Thaddeus Stevens Gettysburg Log Home
- Kiwi Berry Farmette, Gardens & Guest Suite With A View At Wild Juniper Farm!
- Econo Lodge Gettysburg
- The Lodges at Gettysburg
- Gettysburg Hotel
- Colton Motel Gettysburg
- Hotel Eisenhower & Conference Center
- Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg
- Baladerry Inn
- Hampton Inn Gettysburg
- Modern Tiny House Primitive Cabin
- Tillie Pierce House Inn
- Willow Lodge At Primrose Dale Farm~rest, Relax & Renew~near Historic Gettysburg
- Sleep Inn and Suites Gettysburg
- Western Inn
- The Brickhouse Inn
- Historic Farnsworth House Inn
- Cricket House
- Quiet Country Setting
- Federal Pointe Inn
- 1856 Stone Home Just Restored. Now Accepting Reservations.
- Loris Place On Cedar
- Make This Lovely Two Story Brick Home Your Gettysburg Address!
- Perfect Location: Historic Downtown Guesthouse
- Culp House: Ideal Location, Historic Gettysburg! Can Rent with the Cricket House
- Seeing Is Believing!!
- Experience The History In Downtown Gettysburg
- The Swope Manor
- Super 8 Gettysburg
- Relax In Our Pre Civil War Era Home
- Fishing & Campfires! 40 Acres On Battlefield!
- Hotels in New York 17088 Hotels deals from $39
- Hotels in Lancaster 701 Hotels deals from $31
- Hotels in Philadelphia 5774 Hotels deals from $41
- Hotels in Harrisburg 284 Hotels deals from $55
- Hotels in Washington D.C. 4928 Hotels deals from $27
- Hotels in Hershey 162 Hotels deals from $49
More Top Destinations
- Atlantic City
- Ocean City
- Virginia Beach
- Myrtle Beach
- State College
- Las Vegas
- King of Prussia
- Niagara Falls
- Pigeon Forge
- Rehoboth Beach
- Mount Pocono
- New Cumberland
- Cape May