Accommodations in Leicester near St Mary de Castro

  • Find the ideal hotel in the area
  • Compare prices from different websites
  • Book for a great price!
Loading

About St Mary de Castro

The City of Leicester can trace its history from an original Roman settlement through the Norman, Plantagenet, York, Tudor and Victorian dynasties. Much of the remaining Norman Leicester can be found in the Castle Gardens Conservation area alongside the River Soar.

Within its boundary is the Norman Church of St. Mary de Castro. The foundations for the church were laid by the first Earl of Leicester in 1107 within the walls of Leicester Castle. It was expanded over the course of the next 300 years and the spire was completed in 1400. It is said that Geoffrey Chaucer was married in the church and that the body of King Richard III. lay here after he was killed at the Battle of Bosworth (there is a statue to his memory in the Castle Gardens). Henry VI was knighted in the building. John Wyclif is known to have preached here.

Part of the original Norman stonework is still visible around the main door. The ceiling is of carved oak from the 15th century. There are six highly decorative stained glass windows.

The church is about five minutes walk from the Clock Tower and the city centre

ADMISSION: free

Guided tours are available on Saturday and Bank Holiday afternoons from Easter to the end of October or by arrangement with the Vicar.

Contact

Castle Street, Leicester, LE1 5WN, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44(116)2628727 | Official Homepage

Points of Interest - Leicester

More Points of Interest - Leicester