Accommodations in Thessaloniki near White Tower

  • Find the ideal hotel in the area
  • Compare prices from different websites
  • Book for a great price!
Loading

About White Tower

Lefkos Pirgos (The white Tower) is located on the waterfront of Thessaloniki on the Niki promenade. It is a symbol and one of the most famous sites of the city.
The tower is one of three that were part of the sea wall. It linked the east and the sea wall and separates Jewish and Muslim cemeteries from the European neighbourhood.

The white Tower was built in the 16th century by the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Great. It was used as barracks, and later on as a prison in which were sentenced to death the enemies of the Ottoman empire. In 1826 by order of Sultan Mahmud II all prisoners were killed. Because of that the tower until the end of the 19th century was known as the Red or Bloody Tower.
The tower is elongated and has six floors. Its height is above 30 meters, diameter is 22.7 meters. The top can be reached by 120-foot spiral staircase. The view from the tower is to the harbor.
In the 19th century the tower was repainted in white, and there its current name comes from.
In Levkos Pyrgos is placed a Byzantine Museum, where are shown artefacts from the Byzantium period of Thessaloniki.

Contact

Leoforos Nikis, Thessaloniki, 54623, Greece

Points of Interest - Thessaloniki

More Points of Interest - Thessaloniki